Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Golden year in a review

Last year was my golden birthday (for those of you who don't know what a golden birthday is, it is your age is the same as the day number - ex: April 22 and 22 years old). Well is I was born on April 22, 1987 so last year was my golden birthday and I turned 22.

I was not expecting a huge amount of interesting things to happen since the years before weren't super exciting. Well I was hugely mistaken since my year took a totally different turn than what I was expecting.

April 22, 2009 - my 22nd birthday, nothing big happened other than a normal day

April 27, 2009 - I started working at Frederik Meijer Gardens as a part of the summer horticulture staff - a world class known horticulture site! I met the most wonderful people there - Gabe, Ana, Koree, Ian, Rick, Ed, Wendy, Rachel, Lucy, Rose, Scott, Joe and Steve and all of the volunteers who are too numerous to name. They were not only friendly but they also cared about how me as an individual and what was going on in my life. They helped influence my horticulture study and teach me so many new things about plants and the world that the Lord had created. I was also able to see a great country name in concert - Kenny Rogers! This was also my internship for my Michigan State program. This was also the 5th year anniversary of the Lena Meijer Children's Garden in which I constructed many of the structures that were present in the garden - a carousel, a floral birthday cake, and Alice in Wonderland topiaries. I also help construct the front East Beltline entrance with 7,500 annuals in 8 hours!

Summer 2009 - Andrea Doty and I went horseback riding about once a week to pass the time. We had a wonderful time enjoying the fresh air outdoors and time with eachother and wonderful creatures of love, heart, and spirit (horses).

August 29, 2009 - My time at Frederik Meijer Gardens was completed. I can truly say that it was the most wonderful time I have had at a summer job.

August 31, 2009 - I started class through Michigan State at Calvin College. It was so wonderful to see all of my friends again. I got to class a little early and met one of my friends - Brett Tiggleman - he was there early and we were talking out in the parking lot (at that point I had no idea what would become of that day talking)

September 22, 2009 - My life officially changed (for the better). Brett and I decided to start dating. We had been talking over the weeks prior and we decided that maybe we could give things a try.

October - November 2009 - We began a landscaping project to relandscape his parents front yard in Zeeland. We have most of everything done except putting the plants in.

December 20, 2009 - I got the promise of a lifetime - the most georgous promise ring in the world for the most amazing man in the world! I couldn't believe it, but he promised that in the future when we were ready he would ask that big question, but for the time being this was to be a symbol that he would always be there for me and that I would always be his.

February - April, 2010 - Brett and I have been remodeling his parents trailer up in Baldwin...this is a major test for us to take on. We are almost all the way complete in our remodeling project of the kitchen, living room and hallway.

April 14, 2010 - I met with the council of our church to give them my testimony and I am going to make profession of faith in the church in the next month or so (my testimony is in one of my other posts on here)

April 21, 2010 - The last day of my golden year. I looked back and realized how wonderful of a year that it was! So many things happened that were not expected. They were miracles and gifts from God. I did not include my normal everyday times of going to class, or staying at home, or holidays when we get together with family just like everyone in the world does, I just decided to give some high lights that were not like every other year of my life.

I am truly blessed to have everyone in my life that has been a part of my life this past year. Today marks the beginning of a new year. We shall see what takes place this year. I don't know what will take place in this next year, but based on this past year I don't know what could top these past events. I take each day at a time. Each day is a gift from God. I plan to live each day to its full potential!

~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment