Saturday, April 17, 2010

Faith

This past week I officially joined our church - Oakwood Christian Reformed Church. I went to the council and made my testimony to them and shared with them my views and everything based on my faith. I have made my profession of faith to them (just not in front of the church yet).

Here is my testimony:
During my growing up years, I was raised in a Christian environment - home, school, and church. I was never challenged in my faith or lifestyle while I was still living at home. I went on to go to school at Northwestern College in Iowa where I was tested in every way. I was provided with a Christian family to work for (which was a dairy farm that taught me so much about life). The second year I was out there for school, my grandpa passed away just after I had left to begin school. This traumatized me. I had to make a quick trip back home with my friend Kayla's car. I didn't want to go back to school. I felt like there was no point in it. I felt like my world had crashed and burned. I was struggling in school. I was struggling in running. I felt so alone. At that time I was also feeling like I was not good at much of anything other than milking cows. I spent 4 summers working for a county park in which my good work ethic ended up being taken advantage of by the time I was done working there after 4 summers. I went to work and worked hard because I didn't have hardly anything else going for me at the time. My days consisted of getting up, going to work, coming home and either napping or bedtime, eating dinner, and being alone in my room. I didn't do much with friends or anything at all. My 3rd year in college I had to come back home to Montcalm Community College because my grades went in the toilet at Northwestern. I felt like a complete failure because I wanted to go into Forestry, but since my grades were so bad I was not able to do that. So I had to rethink my plan. I thought about maybe doing agriculture. I kept taking more general classes at Montcalm Community College even though I had no idea where God was taking me. The following summer (my last one at the county park) a friend of mine from church gave me a pamphlet about a landscaping program through Michigan State University. I thought to myself "God, what are you trying to tell me now?" I was like what the heck, it can't get any worse than it already is. I applied for the program a few weeks before the fall and got accepted right away. I started the program and passed all the classes with flying colors. Finally an area where I can succeed. God is giving me some sort of direction where I am not failing at everything I try. I finished that school year out and missed the classes just after they finished up. I decided that during that summer I would do my internship. I had originally been considering going out of state, but that never fell through. My advisor had suggested I try Frederik Meijer Gardens and got in right away. The moment I walked into the place, I knew instantly I was in the place I was suppose to be working. I knew God was up to something but I wasn't sure what it was. The employees that I worked with that summer where not only friendly but they also cared about who I was as an individual. They were also good Christian people. I finally realized how much I was missing while I had been working at the county park. I started up the next school year (which is hopefully my last) I met the man of my dreams. He had been in my classes last year as well. I hadn't expected God to put a man into my life since I was already stressed and confused about where he was taking me, but apparently I needed that extra shoulder to lean on. The man he sent into my life was exactly what I had been looking for, and everything I needed - a God-fearing man who could handle me through the thick and thin of life. I have been also working on being more diligent with doing daily devotions and applying them to my day. It has made such a difference. Also, with someone else to help me along the way and be in the same spot I am has made so much of a difference. God is so full of surprises and miracles! My life has not been easy once I started dating, but it made me realize that I was not in control of anything - I had to let God handle every little bit. It has made a huge difference, not fighting against his plan makes life not only more interesting but so much nicer to live through. I know life still won't be tough but I know that without the help of God and without Jesus coming to this earth to save us from my since, I won't be able to make it to eternity. And I want to live in eternity. He is my personal Savior.

I know that is long, but that is my testimony of what I have been through. So many people have been an influence in my life I can not list all of them. You know who you are and I thank God for putting you in my life.

~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment